Electricity. We use it so much, in every facet of our lives, that it’s easy at times to forget just what a scientific marvel it is. Let’s take a look at a few easily overlooked facts about electricity and take a moment to appreciate all that it’s done to improve our lives.
- Over 75% of the energy used to power electronics is consumed when the devices are on standby. In fact, a computer can use 80 watts of energy whilst on standby.
- Only 10% of a lightbulb’s energy is used to create light, and the rest is used to generate heat. Switching to CFL bulbs could save up to 80% of the energy being used by your traditional lightbulbs.
- Google accounts for 0.013% of the world’s energy usage. The amount of energy used to conduct 100 Google searches could power a 60 watt lightbulb for 28 minutes.
- Iceland is the first (and only) country to generate 100% of its energy from renewable sources, e.g. geothermal and hydroelectric.
- Electricity is what makes your heart beat. Electricity causes the muscles in your heart to contract, resulting in your heartbeat.